I have not seen all the movies that are potentially up for movie of the year, but here are a few I would recommend. I gave the four movies below 5 stars out of 5.
1. Into the Wild *****- My pick for movie of the year.
Sean Penn did a amazing job of turning Krakauer's book into a movie.
Cinematography was superb.
2. Juno ***** - Best movie on the tough subject of abortion.
3. Lookout ***** - Drama about a high school athlete whose life is turned upside down following a tragic accident.
4. Hot Fuzz ***** - Comedy about a cop in London who is transfered to a small crime-free village of Sanford.
Running Movies I viewed in 2007
1. Running Madness ***- Documentary on the Western States 100 Mile Race.
I really enjoyed this movie. It is the best movie I have seen so far on WS. Great interviews with many elite athletes. It was nice to have many stories come from Gordy Ainsleigh who first completed the race in 1974.
2. Forever Running ***- Documentary on the life of Yiannis Kouros.
Kouros holds records from 100 miles to 1,000 miles, from 200 km to 1,600 km, and from 1 day to 10 days. I thought it was interesting. I always like to see how other runners live and where they live. The one part of the movie that really hit home. After one of his races his crew actually had to help peal him up off the ground. I thought this really showed the human aspect of Yiannis. He gives everything he's got and puts it all on the line when race day comes.
3. The Dipsea Deamon ***- Documentary on Jack Kirk at age 96 runs the 2nd oldest footrace in America, the grueling Dipsea race, for a world record 68 consecutive times. It was interesting to see Jack at the age of 96 run the Dipsea. Watching it was like watching someone run a 100 mile race, going through the struggles and ups and downs of a race. I am sure at age 96 that's what it feels like. It was very inspiring because Jack Kirk didn't want to quit but everyone was trying to talk him into calling it a day. You can tell he wasn't a quitter.
I love good tunes.
Here is a list of the Albums that I would recommend that came out in 2007.
Simian Mobile Disco
The New Pornographers
Tegan & Sara